Monday, February 28, 2011

Winter Delights

       


Again we have a cold day. Temperature this morning is minus 37 Celsius and the weather report says that in some areas it is even colder. That’s the prairie for you.

One of the things we enjoy about winter are the flowers we usually have around the house. At this time of year we have a fair collection of beautiful spring flowers that grace our windowsills so that we can enjoy their beauty. 


On this picture, arranged with the Cyclamen you see the beautiful logo we used for the 2010 Canadian Shetland Sheepdog Association’s National. I was the lucky recipient of Gail Pope’s work captured on wood. The designer of the logo was Catherine McMillan.

To brighten our winter months the picture features one of our hyacinths of which we have various colors. Usually we have a nice display of forced amaryllis as well, but we managed to overlook buying the bulbs last fall, so we were out of luck for indoor amaryllis this year.

I have included a picture of a beautiful Clivia that blooms every year for me. The “mother plant” I brought back with me from Germany many, many years ago when smuggling a plant in your coat pocket was no problem. These days that would be impossible so I really treasure it as my mother used to grow these impressive plants. Many of my friends are growing offsets from it blooming as beautiful as the picture shows.
          

No comments:

Post a Comment